Tuesday, September 20, 2011

40+ Naturals: Meet Michel!

NL: When did you decide to go natural and what went into that decision?

I decided to stop relaxing my hair last year. I have been a curly head all of my life and have often gone long stretches without relaxing but last year, I just decided no more. My last relaxer was in October of 2010.


NL: Did you transition over time or do a big chop?

At At this point I am not going to do a big chop. My hair is almost top of armpit length. When straightened and I have about 5 inches of new growth. I plan to keep growing it out and trimming out the straightened parts gradually.

NL: What are some of your favorite products and styles?


I have a lot of favorite products. When doing research on the internet and youtube, I came across people who were using castor oil, rosemary shampoo and organic coconut oil for growth. I regularly shampoo my hair with Rosemary shampoo and condition with Matrix Biolage with rosemary and Suave Humectant conditioner. I also use Garnier Fructis leave in Conditioner along with Hawaiian Silky. Other favorites that I use are Sally’s Silk leave in, Ojon Restorative conditioner and Eco Styler with Argan oil.


NL: Describe your expectations and feelings before you made the leap to natural. How did you feel post-transition?


My expectations before going curly was that it would be more difficult to style and take care of hair. While it has not been the same and I have to put in more work into my hair, I feel it is much healthier. I can see a big difference between the diameter of my hair shaft before and after relaxing. The relaxed hair diameter is much smaller than the new growth. I feel my curly hair growing in is much stronger than the relaxed portion.


NL: What have been the reactions of family, friends, etc to the newly natural you?


The reactions that I have gotten have been pretty positive. The best one was last week when my 20 year old daughter touched my hair and said, “Mommy I love your curls.”


NL: Describe what it was like to return to work after going natural.


The reaction I have received have been fine. I substitute teach at different schools and wear my hair both curly and straight.


NL: Overall, what has been your greatest discovery about being natural?

My greatest discovery about going natural is that, I love my hair, and it’s versatility and it has the ability to grow long when taken care of properly.


NL: What advice would you give to another 40+ woman who is considering going natural?

My advice to women who are over 40 and want to go natural is to “Go For It”! It’s a great journey of discovery and love. You learn to love and accept yourself for who God created you to be-Unique and wonderful. Curly heads have the benefit of wearing their hair in so many styles and can switch up whenever they want too. It’s a great journey!



Thanks Michel!

5 comments:

  1. Great post to really inspire women to take the step out to transition into natural hair care.

    We always hear the excuse of We hope that women will not use this as an excuse of tangled hair issues as a reason to give up on the transition process.

    We know that there are so many ways that hair can tangle apart from being natural. We have had clients that have had their hair become severely matted/tangled from conditioners and shampoos that did not mix with their hair textures(natural or chemically treated). For some women, if they leave their braids or weaves in 1 month their hair tangles.

    Because we deal with very matted/tangled hair 7days a week-we use a product called the Take Down Remover Cream. It detangles hair that is as hard as a stone or that is so stuck together it looks like a birds nest. We use it for matted wigs, braids, or to comb out dreadlocks.

    So there is really no excuse not to wear your hair natural if you really want to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog! c:
    I have a cute tutorial showing how to style three, quick, easy hairstyles.
    If you or anyone else likes it, check out my other tutorials c:

    http://www.youtube.com/user/BlackWomenHair#p/u/5/XM9-BsQY7c4

    ReplyDelete
  3. i follow different tips from michel and getting shiny hair though i m in middle aged , i have own tool kit for my hair style.thanks Michel.

    Regards,

    Marry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love black hairstyles. I love black girls :D
    waterproof cameras review

    ReplyDelete
  5. Professional explained content. Please post regularly and make us learn more.Tokyo Milk

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin